[chimerax-users] [Chimera-users] color by zone in chimeraX

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Tue Aug 20 11:47:16 PDT 2019

Hi Pranav,
I’m Cc'ing the chimerax-users at cgl.ucsf.edu list (recommended for ChimeraX questions).

I believe the problem is that when coloring the chains you are using “target c” which means to color only cartoons, whereas coloring by zone uses the atom colors. Since you only colored the cartoons, the atoms probably still had heteroatom color-coding.

If you use “target ac”  instead (even if the atoms aren’t shown), then as long as the color zone distance is big enough, I think you will get the color zones you expect.

<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/color.html#simple>
<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/color.html#zone>

I hope this helps,
Elaine