[chimerax-users] developing bundles autocompletion

Eric Pettersen pett at cgl.ucsf.edu
Fri Jun 5 17:08:20 PDT 2020

This is undoubtedly because it uses an in-process kernel (qtconsole.inprocess).  I just tested switching to a “regular” kernel, and that does allow connection from outside ChimeraX, but the connection is essentially useless because in the external Python (I tried jupyter-console) sys.path was entirely different, so no chimerax packages were on the path, and in addition ’session’ was not defined, which would make it very hard to do anything.  On top of that it broke the internal shell because although sys.path was fine, ’session’ was again not defined, which made it hard to do anything useful.

The code to the builtin shell is in /home/danpal/programs/chimerax-0.93/lib/python3.7/site-packages/chimerax/shell/tool.py .  It’s not very long.  I’m no Jupyter expert, so if anyone wants to suggest changes that would get external kernel access working without breaking the internal shell, I’m willing to listen.

—Eric