[chimerax-users] How to expand the RAN in ChimeraX?

Tom Goddard goddard at sonic.net
Wed Mar 3 09:32:35 PST 2021

Hi Andrea,

The volume command dataCacheSize option will do this.  For example for 32 Gbytes of memory cache for volume data use command

	volume dataCacheSize 32000

The default is to set it to half the physical memory of the computer.

https://www.rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/volume.html#sampling <https://www.rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/volume.html#sampling>

I would not suggest changing it because surface and image rendering typically use an amount memory for the graphics similar to the data size.  The cache is only for the volume data, so with graphics, the current setting can utilize all your memory.  Increasing it can cause data to be paged out to disk with horrible performance.  The above setting is not saved.  If you did want to change it for every ChimeraX session you would use Preferences / Startup / Execute these commands at startup.

	Tom