[chimerax-users] VR Support

tolung.bio at gmail.com tolung.bio at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 21:18:12 PDT 2021

Hello Tristan and the Chimera team,

I have been using ChimeraX in VR: fantastic!

However, ISOLDE was not working in VR, unfortunately.

Is there a fix/workaround currently available to get ISOLDE running in VR?

Is there ongoing work on making ISOLDE VR compatible?

Also: 1) are there any advantages of using a Quadro card over a consumer-line card for ChimeraX VR? and 2) is there a recommended minimum system spec for getting high-enough frame rates in VR with large models? We are planning to put together a new system soon for molecular visualization and modelling, hence the questions.

Now that there are VR headsets with high-enough resolution (such as the HP Reverb G2) that allow reading smaller text and finer details in VR, I am hoping that the molecular visualization and modelling software will start providing built-in easy-to-use support for these devices. I applaud ChimeraX team for leading in this space (no pun intended 😊).

Best,

Gökhan