[chimerax-users] ChimeraX save formats and recording image frames

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Thu Jun 23 08:52:42 PDT 2022

Hi Daniel,
(1) alembic is not one of the current save formats.  You can see the list of output formats in the Log of ChimeraX by using command "save formats" or check the current documentation (which would refer to current daily build):
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/save.html#formats>

(2) Yes, you can have ChimeraX command scripts that do all kinds of stuff (motions, zooming, show/hide, coloring, etc.) and include "movie record" to start recording image frames, "movie stop" to stop recording, and "movie encode" to actually create the movie file if you want.  However, you could just use the frames.  The "movie record" command has options for image format and save location, and "movie encode" has options for how the images are assembled into a single movie file.  See "making movies"
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/movies.html>

...and details for "movie" command
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/movie.html>

I hope this helps,