[ category ]
A preset is a predefined combination of display settings,
or more generally, a set of actions that can be
defined by the user.
The built-in presets act only on atomic models,
and those in the Cartoons/Nucleotides and
Initial Styles categories hide any
They are not all-encompassing (results depend on prior settings), and those
which are more render-intensive may be slow to execute on very large structures.
Presets can also be applied using the
The preset command applies one of the following presets,
here grouped by category:
– user-defined presets
- Initial Styles –
based on automatic styling
- Original Look - initial appearance from
which depends on the number of chains in an atomic structure (however,
settings such as silhouettes
and cartoon style may be different
if they were changed since the structure was opened)
– all atoms as sticks,
simple lighting, etc. (as for
automatic styling of structures with 0 chains)
– cartoon plus atomic detail near
as ligand and ions,
simple lighting, etc.
automatic styling of structures with 1-4 chains)
- Space-Filling (Chain Colors)
– all atoms as spheres
except sticks for ligand and balls for solvent,
shadows, etc. (as for
automatic styling of structures with 5-249 chains)
- Space-Filling (Single Color)
– all atoms as spheres,
ambient-only lighting, etc. (as for automatic
styling of structures with ≥250 chains)
- Molecular Surfaces –
with different coloring options:
- Atomic Coloring (Transparent)
– same color(s) as the underlying atoms, 70% transparent
- Chain ID Coloring (Opaque)
– chain colors, opaque
- Ghostly White – white, 80% transparent
- Overall Look
The preset-name (and optional category before it)
can be truncated, but should be enclosed in quotation marks
if the part that is entered includes spaces. Capitalization is ignored.
preset surf atom
Matching is prioritized as follows:
- If a single argument (word or quoted string) is given, it is
matched to preset name, any category.
- If multiple arguments are given:
- If the first argument matches a category,
the rest is matched to preset name.
- If a match still has not been found at this point,
the entire set of arguments is matched to preset name, any category.
UCSF Resource for Biocomputing, Visualization, and Informatics /