[chimerax-users] Understanding the output of the align command

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Tue Aug 13 15:51:48 PDT 2019

Hi Yazan,
I’d recommend instead using fitting (e.g. “fitmap” command or “Fit in Map” tool) to make the map align to the atomic model(s) as needed once you’ve moved them to different positions, or if the map and atoms are already aligned, just always move them together rather than separately.  I.e. if you’re rotating, why not move both the atomic and map models in the same rotation command (“turn” or “roll”)??

You can save each set of model positions with command “view name” and then later (in the movie script) use “view” to reset to the previously saved positions over multiple frames.  The positions are saved in sessions so you can set it all up ahead of time before running the script of the movie part.

<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/fitmap.html>
<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/movies.html>
<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/view.html#name>

Personally I wouldn’t even try to deal with matrices.  It is much too confusing (at least to me) and depends on the map and atom coordinates already being fit to each other before you open them.  Note, however, there is also a “view matrix” command to apply a tranformation matrix, which might make it slightly less confusing than trying to apply it with other commands.
<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/view.html#matrix>

I hope this helps,
Elaine
-----