[chimerax-users] Mesh resolution/smoothness

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Tue Jun 15 08:22:31 PDT 2021

Hi Saren,
As far as I know the STL has the same mesh resolution (same triangulation) as the surface had in ChimeraX, although the surface in ChimeraX may look smoother because of the surface normals and how the lighting is done.

How to use smaller triangles in the surface in ChimeraX depends on the type of surface:

(A) If it is a molecular surface you can control it with the "gridSpacing" option of the "surface" command.
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/surface.html>

(B) If it is a volume surface (e.g. density map isosurface) there are several options of the "volume" command having to do with surface subdivision and smoothing, and whether square mesh is shown, see:
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/volume.html#dispsurf>
You would also want to use "step 1" for the full resolution of the map data:
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/volume.html#sampling>

I hope this helps,
Elaine
-----