[chimerax-users] Mesh resolution/smoothness

Saren Tasciyan saren.tasciyan at ist.ac.at
Tue Jun 15 03:48:00 PDT 2021

Hi,

I am trying to generate STL files out of protein models. Often the
problem is that the mesh doesn't as smooth as the models (see pics
below). I wonder if this is an artifact of rendering in ChimeraX or the
mesh is actually hard coded to have certain resolution, which makes it
look like this? I tried to find out why and ended up in custom_x3d
function but didn't notice anything. Post-export smoothing is an option
but I wonder, if that's the optimal approach?

Perhaps, smoothing can create collisions between 2 STL models, where a
higher resolution export may avoid this.

Best,

Saren

--

Saren Tasciyan