[chimerax-users] Displaying multiple sequences during alignment

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Mon Mar 8 07:31:34 PST 2021

Hi Yaikhomba,
Yes, Matchmaker only makes pairwise alignments.  Chimera (but not yet ChimeraX) has a Match -> Align tool that, after you have multiple structures superimposed in 3D, then you can calculate the multiple sequence alignment from the spatial information.  So currently you would need to use Chimera: first matchmaker to superimpose all three, then Chimera Match->Align (in Chimera menu under: Tools... Structure Comparison) to create the multiple sequence alignment. You could then save the multiple sequence alignment to a file (from the sequence window File menu), then open it in ChimeraX.

Chimera Match->Align
<https://www.rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimera/docs/ContributedSoftware/matchalign/matchalign.html>

I hope this helps,
Elaine