[chimerax-users] Move model to specific coordinates of reference model

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Thu Mar 18 13:30:26 PDT 2021

Hi Matthias,
Hmmmm...there are a few possibilities, and it also depends on how you want to define the centers of the map and the tomogram.  If you know or can figure out what their centers are, then you can subtract the coordinates of one center from the other and then do exact translations of one model or another along x, y, and/or z using the "move" command,
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/move.html>

- OR - set map grid origin to specific coordinates using the "volume" command "origin" option (or make a certain grid point have coordinates 0,0,0 with "originIndex" option)
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/volume.html#dimensions

Ways to define the center are as center of grid, or as center of mass.  You can get map/tomo center of mass from "measure center"
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/measure.html#center>

You could figure out center of grid coordinates given the grid size (number of points in each dimension), origin, and voxel size, which can all be reported with the "volume settings" command:
<https://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/volume.html#settings>

I hope this helps,
Elaine
-----