[chimerax-users] [Chimera-users] convert .mod to .mrc

Elaine Meng meng at cgl.ucsf.edu
Tue Jun 23 08:44:34 PDT 2020

Dear Emmanuel Moebel,
I can't think of a simple way to make an index map from IMOD meshes, only a multistep process for each mesh object.  At first I misread the question and thought you said "ChimeraX" so below are steps for both Chimera and ChimeraX in case anybody might be interested.  I have not tried the entire process, however.
I hope this helps,
Elaine

=-=-=
The following instructions are for Chimera:

Each IMOD mesh object from the file is a surface piece.
<http://www.rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimera/docs/ContributedSoftware/volumeviewer/imod.html>

You can specify that surface piece in a "mask" command as "sel" (after selecting it with the mouse) and specifying input map as "ones" to create a map that has values of 1 inside, 0 outside. Then you can scale the map by using "vop scale" to multiply values by a constant (e.g. for values of 2 or 3 instead):
<http://www.rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimera/docs/UsersGuide/midas/mask.html>
<http://www.rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimera/docs/UsersGuide/midas/vop.html#scale>

Maybe if you did this for multiple mesh objects you could combine the results into one map with "vop add"; not sure how well this would work.
<http://www.rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimera/docs/UsersGuide/midas/vop.html#add>

Then you can save your index map as MRC using the Volume Viewer File menu or command "volume"
<http://www.rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimera/docs/ContributedSoftware/volumeviewer/volumeviewer.html#organization>

=-=-=
The following instructions are for ChimeraX.

Each IMOD mesh object from the file is a surface model in ChimeraX.
<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/formats/imod.html>

You can specify that surface model in a "volume onesmask" command to create a map that has values of 1 inside, 0 outside, then multiply values by a constant (e.g. for values of 2 or 3 instead) using "volume scale":
<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/volume.html#onesmask>
<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/volume.html#scale>

Maybe if you did this for multiple mesh objects you could combine the results into one map with "volume add"; not sure how well this would work.
<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/volume.html#add>

Then you can use "save" to write your index map as MRC:
<http://rbvi.ucsf.edu/chimerax/docs/user/commands/save.html#map>

I hope this helps,
Elaine
-----